Preliminary Note - if you have a rooted device, then you should be able to save yourself a lot of this inconvenience by using Market Helper.
For the vast majority of users, paid apps are visible using the Google Play Store website or the Android Play Store app.
From either of those sources, you should be able to pay for and install Hanping Chinese Dictionary Pro. In order to pay, you will need a Google Checkout account or, if your mobile carrier supports it, use carrier billing.
Problems may happen for one of the following reasons:
- The Play Store app is not installed on your device: in which case, the only alternative is to buy from Amazon.
- You are using a Chinese sim card (see here for a full list of paid apps-supported countries) or maybe no sim card at all: Try changing to a sim card of another country (e.g. US, HK). The sim card does not need to be active and you can connect to the Store via WiFi (or use the Google Play Store website). You only need to do this when purchasing the app. For normal use of the app, you can keep your Chinese sim card in place. If you do not have a non-Chinese sim card then try installing GenyMotion and making the purchase (using a VPN) through that. UPDATE: genymotion no longer (2.0+) includes Google Play, but here's how you can install it.
- You are using a WiFi-only device/tablet from within China: in which case, try again using a VPN.
- You are accessing the Google Play Store website from China: You will not be able to see the Top Paid tab in the category listings. However, you can view the app page directly. If you see "The app is incompatible with your <device name>" or "This item cannot be installed on your device", then it is most likely because you are using a Chinese sim card (see above).
- Play Store app says "The requested item could not be found": This sometimes happens when accessing from China. Try using the Google Play Store website instead or try again later.
- The paid app is available but Google Checkout does not accept your payment details then try using an alternative credit card (e.g. Visa or Mastercard) that supports international purchases: Some banks automatically block foreign purchases because of fraud protection, so you need to call the bank to enable it. You can also try contacting Google Checkout Support.
If none of that works for you (for example, you cannot get hold of the right sim card), then you could always try purchasing from Amazon (US, BR, CA, DE, ES, FR, IT, JP, UK).
If you have already installed the Pro version, and later try to update to a newer version, you may come across similar problems to those described above.
Updating from Play Store app
In particular, clicking on the app in the "My apps" screen of the Play Store app may result in a "The requested item could not be found" message. There are a few ways around this:
- Try "Update all" from the "My apps" screen (however, this is only available if you have more than one app to update, and will not update "Manual Update" apps).
- Long-press on the app you wish to update and from there you can "Update".
Note: the long-press functionality is not available in the latest version of the Market/Play Store app (3.0.26) released mid July 2011 (so please use the "Update all" approach or switch to a paid-app country sim card).
- Swipe right (to left) to go to the All tab. Find Hanping Pro in the list and try updating from there.
If that doesn't work, then please read the Reinstalling section.
Updating from Google Play Store website
You may see the message "The app is incompatible with your <device name>" or "This item cannot be installed on your device". This is almost always because you have a Chinese sim card inserted (or maybe no sim card at all). If this is the case, please try updating using the Play Store app (see above). Alternatively, you can try the sim card swap (see above).
This part assumes that you have previously purchased the Pro version and need to reinstall it (maybe because you have purchased a new device or wiped your existing device).
For general information on retrieving previously purchased applications please read this.
Reinstalling from Play Store app
Usually you would simply (tested using Play Store app 3.7.15):
- Run the Play Store app
- Make sure you are using the correct Google account: Menu > Accounts
- In "My Apps" swipe right (to left) to go to the "ALL" page
- Scroll down to find Hanping Chinese Dictionary Pro which should be marked as "Purchased"
- Click on that and you should be taken to the page where you can install
Here is an alternative way to bring up Hanping Pro in the Play Store app:
- Go to your Android device and open up this web page in your Browser
- Still on your Android device, click on this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ng.app.pro
- You should be shown a dialog prompt to "Complete action using" and you should then select Play Store.
Note: if you do not see this prompt then you have probably previously selected a default app. In this case, (and if that default app is not Play Store) you need to go to the system app page for that app (i.e. where you Clear Data and Force Stop the app) and click Clear Defaults. Next time you click on the above link, the prompt should show. For more see this.
- You should now be in the Play Store app page for Hanping Pro. If Google Play recognizes your license then you should see the "Install" button. If not, then please check you are logged into the correct Google account: Play Store app > Menu > Accounts
Reinstalling from Google Play Store website
As far as I know, this is not possible if your device has a Chinese sim card installed.
If you are seeing "Unable to fetch billing details" then please try this:
- Go to Airplane mode, but with WiFi switched on.
- Force Stop Hanping Pro
- Restart Hanping Pro
As if all this wasn't enough, in-app purchases behave slightly differently!
First, it is possible to make in-app purchases without swapping your sim card. The trick here is to go into Aeroplane mode, then switch on Wi-Fi. At the time of writing, it seems you need to also use a VPN to hide your network country.
UPDATE 2012/06: It looks like the sim swap does not work for in-app purchase, so the only way is to use a VPN.
The steps to make an in-app purchase are:
1. Do the Aeroplane Mode/Wi-Fi/VPN thing
2. Force Stop Google Play app
3. Make the in-app purchase (Hanping Pro > Menu > Buy and then purchase one or both of the ABC dictionaries)
If you have already made an in-app purchase and Hanping Pro mistakenly thinks that you haven't, then you need to repeat the above Steps 1, 2 & 3. Then run Hanping Pro and do Menu > About > In-App Billing > Touch to refresh purchase info. Wait about 10 seconds and then restart the app (may need to Force Stop).
When Google Play Store is not behaving as it should do, check out this topic: Google Play Store Issues & Solutions and also the Official page of Known Issues.